Plants That Survive and Thrive on the OBX – Live Oak
Join the Master Gardener℠ volunteers of Dare County in the coming weeks to discuss plants that have been proven to survive and thrive on the OBX!
Live Oak Tree
- Live oak trees can live for hundreds of years!
- Live oak tree is the broadest spreading of the oaks producing an abundance of shade.
- The name live oak came from the fact that they remain green and “alive” throughout the winter when other oak trees are dormant and leafless.
- Live oak trees can grow in forests, in front of buildings such as schools, parking lots, gardens, backyards, and more.
- Live oak trees also grow by oceans. They do great resisting the salt spray.
- Live oak trees product sweet edible acorns that the wildlife like to feed on.
- Live oak trees start producing acorns when they are around 20 years old.
Take a trip to the Outer Banks Arboretum and Teaching Garden to see the beautiful Live Oak for yourself!
Check back in the coming weeks to learn about more plants that survive and thrive on the Outer Banks.
Learn more about Master Gardener℠ volunteer programs in Dare County!