This dish has everything you love about a burrito. Use this formula (rice + beans + salsa + slaw) to create your favorite bowl.
Serving Size: 1½ cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: 25-30 minutes
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium black beans, undrained
- ½ to 1 tablespoon chopped chipotle chiles, canned in adobo sauce (more or less according to taste)
- 1 cup chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
- ¼ cup finely chopped sweet red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2½ tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup very thinly sliced cabbage
- ⅓ cup thinly sliced kale
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (approximately ½ cup)
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add 1½ tablespoons olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add cumin and garlic; cook 1½ minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in rice and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Partially drain black beans. Place beans and remaining liquid in a small saucepan; stir in chipotle chilies. Bring bean mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, tomatoes, onion, cilantro, 1 tablespoon lime juice, and jalapeño; toss to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining 1½ teaspoons oil, remaining 1½ teaspoons lime juice, cabbage and kale; toss well.
- Divide rice mixture evenly among 4 shallow bowls. Divide bean mixture, tomato mixture, cabbage mixture, cheese, and avocado evenly over rice.
Nutrition Information per Serving
(Based on 1 tablespoon chipotle chilies)
- Serving Size: 1½ cups
- Vegetables: 1¼ cups
- Fruits: 0 cups
- Calories: 396 calories
- Carbohydrates: 49 grams
- Fiber: 13 grams
- Protein: 14 grams
- Fat: 17 grams
- Sodium: 517 mg
- Dare County FCS Extension Agent: Dee Furlough
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 252.473.4290